[ Gallery ]
|The most exciting thing on the backwaters of Kerala, however, is the Kettuvallom, which has become the most popular tourism product in India today. In a land as water bound as Kerala it wouldn't be an unusual sight, but for a visitor to God's Own Country a houseboat gliding along the vast green expanse of the backwaters is the most amazing spectacle in the world. Even more enchanting is a holiday in the houseboats of Kerala.
The backwater cruise passes through the narrow canals that criss-cross typical Kerala Villages. The land is rich with green paddy fields and verdant coconut trees. The boat cruise takes you to small islets tucked away amidst those waters where you get glimpses of village life at the best of its serenity and innocence.
Watch village belles picking mussels, while their men folk collect sand from the bottom of the canal. See traditional fish farms and famed Chinese fishing nets. Watch the village folk make the golden fiber called coir from coconut husk and transform it into various coir products. Rustling coconut groves abound. Stop over to drink fresh coconut water and watch the toddy-tapper tap at work. Watch birds like kingfishers, crow pheasants, cormorants, drogues, wood pecker, Bee-eater, kites etc. Parrot green paddy fields sway like a chorus.
The exotic backwater destinations are the true storehouses of the nature at its best. The splendid sunsets, the waxing moonlights, the pulsating palms and the wonderful waves make the backwater destinations the most sought after in kaleidoscopic Kerala.
Looking forward to have the time of your life this holiday? Think about the gorgeous greens, the canopies of coconuts, the bedazzling blues, balmy beaches and the breathtakingly beautiful backwaters. Welcome to God's Own Country. The entire journey is a moving picture with beauty of nature at its best.
Though you may plan your backwater tour to Kerala anytime of the year, the best time for cruising is from October to March. Casual clothes in cotton are best suited for the backwater trip to Kerala. On your way back home from the backwaters of Kerala do not forget to pick up the best buys being offered by the region ranging from the carved wooden elephant souvenirs, assorted handicrafts like bell metal products, coir goods, sandalwood, brass and wooden items, conch shells, paintings and masks. All the travel service for the backwater tour of Kerala is easily available. Right from air ticketing to hotel/houseboat booking and car rentals all the facilities are available to make your holiday an unforgettable experience.
The socio-economic infrastructure of these places depends on the coir industry and fishing. Later tile factories and brick kilns gained importance. As usual we carried products from these interior towns to the market at
Some of the best destinations for backwater cruises in Kerala are between the Kerala backwater destinations of Cochin now called Kochi, Alappuzha, Kollam, Kottayam, and Kumarakom. You can stop at each destination and explore its attractions, before returning to your houseboat for a ride back into the serene ambience of the backwaters of Kerala, while on backwater cruises in Kerala.
- View the spectacular 110 ft. long Snakeboat of Kerala.
- See the traditional fish farms and famed Chinese fishing nets.
- Visit the 400 year old Champakkulam church and an 11th century image of Buddha.
- Visit the historic temple of Ambalappuzha or a traditional wooden house - Nalukettu.
- Visit the Ashram of Matha Amrithanandamayi
- Watch the birds like kingfisher, woodpecker, parrot, myna birds, bee-eater, egret, crane, Brahmin Kite, grey heron, cormorant, Indian koels, water hen, tailor birds and many more.
- See the tropical fruits like pineapple, papaya, guava, coco, mango, jackfruit custard apple, etc.
- See the exotic spices like pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and turmeric.
- See jasmine, roses, hibiscus, water lilies and lotus flowers growing along the waterways.
- View the long green-carpeted rice fields, coconut groves, and the cultivation of many other tropical vegetables.
Back | Backwater